Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage
What is Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage?
Ayurvedic massage is also known Abhyanga. It is a ayurvedic holistic, synchronized massaging of the body towards the direction of the movement of arterial blood, basically in the direction of hair growth. This massages is used for healing and detoxifying the body, mind and spirit. This is done to increase the blood flow towards the distant parts of the body and avoid overwhelming the heart with a sudden venous return.
Abhyanga may be done using oil, herbal powder, herbal pastes or ghee. Oil specific to the client's constitution or medical condition is chosen and heated to a comfortably warm temperature and used for massage. The massage strokes are long and flowing to keep the body warm for maximum absorption of the medicinal oil. This helps reduce your body fatigue and knots in the muscles.
Types of Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massages
1. Sarvanga Abhyanga – Full body medicated oil massage
The entire body is massaged using medicated oils to relax and strengthen the body, improve blood circulation, tone up the muscles, alleviate sleep and relieve pain.
2. Shiro Abhyanga – The Third Eye Massage, also known as head massage
This massage focuses on areas most affected by stress such as the head, shoulders, neck, nervous system, vision and hearing. Medicated oil is applied on the scalp and massaged gently till the oil is soaked in the skin. It relaxes the sense organs and nervous system. It’s the fastest remedy for headaches and stress.
3. Padabhyanga – foot massage
In this type of massage, the warm oil is applied on the soles of the feet and toes till its soaked into the skin. This eases and relieves any pain in your legs. It rejuvenates your energy levels and soothes the nervous system.
Why should you get it?
Abhyanga is done from head to toe in proper sequence so that all the body parts will get the benefits from the massage. Each person has an inherent balance of energies their mind and body. In harmony the body is healthy, but if the energies start shifting, you feel sick and/or suffer from diseases. As each person is different the oils and massage techniques used person will be different. This therapy will help your body regain the balance in its energy levels.
What to expect?
Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage is performed using warm or luke warm medicated oils. Light pressure is applied on sensitive areas, nerve endings such as soles of the feet and palms and base of the fingers. After a healing massage, the oil is left on the body to do its magic. The longer the oil is on, the deeper it penetrates.
Health Benefits of Thai Yoga Massage
- Reduction in Stress – This type of therapy helps restore the balance of the energies, thus calming and relieving stress from your mind and body.
- Reduction in Heal Cracking, Roughness And Dryness – Abhyanga oil therapy helps your skin build resistance against the harsh environment, while maintaining smooth and supple skin. It also strengthens the fragile skin and increases skin's natural vibrant beauty helping skin to adapt the ageing process more gracefully and reduce wrinkles.
- Relief of Chronic Back Pain – The oil massaged deep in to the skin relieves the muscle tension and stretches the muscles to reduce pain and aches in the affected areas.
- Promotes better sleep – The sensation of Abhyanga is deeply nourishing to your brain, nervous system, mind, soul, skin and joints. It induces a sense of calmness and contentment.
Tips to keep in mind
Ayurvedic massages should not be done in the following conditions according to Ayurveda.
- Acute swelling
- Acute illness – unless allowed by your doctor.
- During menstruation
- Bleeding disorders or blood clots
- In extreme emotional states
- During chemotherapy