Deep Tissue Massages
Deep Tissue Massage
A deep tissue massage is a type of massage that brings relief from chronic pain. While this massage is used to treat pain, it is also used as a method for relaxation. Several studies have shown that the blood pressure levels of people getting a deep tissue massage fall instantly after the massage. A deep tissue massage has various other benefits. Let us find out more.
What is a deep tissue massage?
A deep tissue massage, as the name suggests, is a type of massage where the deep and underlying tissues (the protective layer surrounding muscles, bones and joints) of the body are targeted. During this massage the therapist will use firm pressure, constant deep strokes at a rhythmic pace release knots from the muscles, ultimately relieving pain. The scar muscles that form after a muscle injury also get eased. The masseuse applies medium to deep pressure on the body, mainly using her fingers and her palms. The forearms and elbows are also occasionally used. This is an oil massage that uses aromatic oils. Deep tissue massages are also very popular among athletes who undergo the sessions after a training or sports event.
What to expect from the massage?
A deep tissue massage takes about 50 – 60 minutes. It is usually administered along the entire body, targeting the deepest layers of muscle. If you have a particular pain in any part of your body, the massage may be localised to meet your requirements. Since it is a deep tissue massage you need to be prepared to feel some pain as the massage uses deep pressure and movements against the muscles rather than moving with them.
What are the benefits of deep tissue massage?
From chronic pain management to accelerated recovery of injuries, the benefits of deep tissue massage are varied. Here are some of them:
- Releases muscle tension
- Relieves lower back pain
- Heals sports injuries
- Increases mobility
- Improves symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Improves postural problems
- Increases muscle strength
- Helps manage labor pain & delivery
- Helps in the recovery of serious conditions such as sciatica
Are deep tissue massages dangerous?
When done by a certified and well-trained masseuse, a deep tissue massage is not dangerous at all. However, you may feel some pressure while the massage is being done. Since a deep tissue massage applies pressure to the deepest tissues of the body, you may feel a bit sore for a few hours after the massage. But there is nothing to worry about - the soreness is just a sign that your tissues and muscles were worked upon. If you feel intense pain, inform your therapist immediately. Drink lots of water to ensure all the lactic acid leaves your body. Once that is done, you will feel a lot better.
How often should you get deep tissue massage?
There are no limitations on the frequency at which you can get a deep tissue massage. A deep massage often addresses chronic pain, so some people get these messages on a daily basis. You could also book deep tissue massage every week at your favourite spa. However, if you do have any specific condition, it is ideal to consult your therapist on the frequency.
Tips to keep in mind
To ensure you get the best out of the deep tissue massage, here are some things you should keep in mind:
- Avoid doing any kind of strenuous activity after a deep tissue massage. Your muscles need time to recover and it is very important to get adequate amounts of rest after this massage.
- Do not consume alcohol after your massage. A massage works by making your body release all the harmful toxins. Alcohol prevents the body from detoxing, so make sure you do not have any hard drinks, or even coffee, after your deep tissue massage.
- If you have ailments like osteoporosis, had surgery recently, ongoing or had chemotherapy or diagnosed with blood clots, do not opt for a Deep Tissue Massage or talk to your doctor, before you opt for it.
To wrap it up, anyone who suffers from chronic muscle ailments or engages in serious physical activities would definitely benefit from a deep tissue massage. Book a deep tissue massage now to experience all its healing benefits.