What is a back massage?
A massage was once, just something that you would enjoy at a spa, but today it is considered a beneficial therapy. Simply put, a back massage is one of the most popular and common type of massage that mainly focuses on the back of the body and is perfect for anyone suffering from chronic back pain. This massage uses gentle kneading to get rid of knots in your muscles, tension in your tissue, and improve blood circulation.
Why get a back massage?
The benefits of a back massage go way beyond and here’s why you should get a back massage. The main cause of back pain is muscle tightening from sitting around the whole day. Having an hour long massage at least once a week can reduce the pain and increase mobility, you could basically call it a painkiller. It also boosts your mood as it increases your levels of serotonin and dopamine.
Benefits of a back massage:
- Relieves lower back pain – If you’ve been sitting around at your desk the entire day or had a vigorous workout then your back muscles can become quite tense, leading to lower back pain. But a good back massage can reduce the tension and relieve you from the pain.
- Improves sleep – Tense muscles are the reason you have a difficult time sleeping. A back massage relaxes the muscles and relieves tension letting you fall into a peaceful slumber.
- Increases circulation – It stimulates the circulation of blood which increases blood flow. A back massage also helps in bringing oxygen-rich blood and nutrients to the muscles and major organs.
- Relieves tension from the upper back – Repetitive movements and immobility can cause pain in your neck and shoulders, therefore a massage of the upper back can alleviate the pain and loosen up tense muscles.
- Releases ‘feel-good’ chemicals – A regular back massage stimulates the production of ‘feel-good’ chemicals like endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin. The release of these chemicals helps reduce pain in the lower back, which may also prevent anxiety and depression.
- Reduces discomfort during pregnancy – A back massage relieves the pain women feel in their lower back during pregnancy. The increase in anxiety levels during pregnancy leads to tense muscles which make the body tired, hence a back massage, in this case, relieves stiffness of the muscles and reduces tension. It also prevents swelling of joints and reduces symptoms of depression.