What is a Foot Reflexology Massage?
Foot massage has been practiced for many centuries as a way of promoting better health. When it is paired with reflexology, it involves applying pressure to specific spots which affect different parts and organs of the body. Foot reflexology points are believed to be connected to various organs throughout the body and are therefore said to be able to help heal diseases and conditions like arthritis, neuropathy, cancer, headaches, digestive issues, PMS, pain, and more.
Here are a few benefits of foot reflexology:
- Relieves body pain- Foot reflexology focuses on certain pressure points that reduce pain in different parts of the body, like, headaches, migraines, neck, and back pain. It helps relieve pain not only in your feet but different parts of your body and reduces stress and anxiety, leaving you in a complete state of relaxation and tranquility.
- Enhances immunity- Massaging and stimulating the reflexes in the feet bring about relaxation and healing in the whole body. It relaxes the body and can prevent stress and its harmful effects. Stress takes a toll on the body and regular foot massages can help prevent many diseases associated with stress.
- Makes the feet healthier- A regular foot massage can free you from foot problems. It stimulates the muscles around your foot and lessens the stiffness. It even reduces pain in the ankles and/or the heels.
- Improves circulation and cleansing– Due to the lack of exercise and restrictive footwear on a daily basis, our circulation is often impaired. A foot massage can be beneficial to reduce the stress that limits blood flow and increase the circulation of blood through the body unimpeded.
- Improves mood and fights depression– Foot massages like reflexology and aromatherapy can help put people in a relaxed state. Regular foot massages can also help lower depression and anxiety.
- Lowers blood pressure– Blood pressure is caused due to a lot of reasons. Stress however is a common factor among those suffering from blood pressure. A regular foot massage, even if it is for a short period of time, can alleviate stress and relax the physical and mental state of a person. This will result in improved mood, lower blood pressure, and less anxiety.
- Promotes better sleep– Foot massages tend to alleviate stress and anxiety, bringing out a deep sense of relaxation which helps promote better sleep and reduce insomnia or any other sleep disorders you might be facing.
Tips to keep in mind
- Do not eat food for at least an hour before the massage
- If you have injuries, cuts, blood vessels diseases
- Drink loads of water to flush out the toxins and lactic acid buildup in the body during the massage.
- Avoid reflexology if you are pregnant.