What is a head massage?
Head massage is a type of therapy that relaxes your body and mind by improving the flow of energy by massaging the head, neck, and shoulders. This helps flush out stress-related hormones from the body and improves mood.
What to expect?
Head massage therapy is a seated massage where the massage therapist works on the upper back, shoulders, neck, head, and face and can be applied over the clothes or directly onto the skin using oil. The massage therapist will use gentle movements and light pressure with fingertips which will simulate the nerves within your scalp and forehead that provide relaxation and positive effects to your mind and entire body.
Some oils that are popular for head massage therapy include:
- Coconut oil – moisturizes your hair and enhances growth. Coconut oil works very well as it has natural cooling properties, to slow down greying and thinning of hair.
- Castor oil – conditions the scalp with its anti-inflammatory nature and helps in reducing split ends.
- Mustard oils – mustard oil is known for generating heat which can stimulate circulation and soothe tense and sore muscles.
- Almond oil – moisturizes and improves the strength of your hair. It is a popular conditioning agent and prevents and treats inflammation around your scalp.
- Sesame oil – moisturizes your hair and prevents graying.
- Jasmine oil – it is one of the recommended oils to relieve stress and tension, jasmine oil is also an antidepressant and antiseptic. Jasmine oil on its own is quite harmful and hence, it should be mixed with a light oil like olive or almond oil before applying it to the scalp.
- Bhringraj oil – bhringraj is a medicinal herb that grows in areas with moisture. It is used for treating various hair and skin problems. It is most effective when heated and applied directly to the scalp.
Benefits of a Head massage
- Relieves stress and headaches – A head massage helps relieve stress and increases feel-good hormones. It also reduces headaches and aids in improving migraines.
- Promotes hair growth – Ayurvedic massages especially help increase nourishment and oxygen to the scalp and hair follicle which stimulates hair growth. It improves their quality and strengthens them.
- Boosts memory capabilities – A massage with essential oils and ayurvedic components helps the human brain relax and slow down. Our daily schedule overloads our brains and we often suffer from short-term memory difficulties. A head massage helps rejuvenates the brain cells and in a way reboots them.
- Relieves insomnia and restlessness – A gentle head massage with the use of essential oils will immediately relieve stress and promote relaxation by striking out the physical symptoms. It also eases tension and stress which helps the body relax and enjoy uninterrupted sleep.
- Improves focus and concentration – A head massage helps increase oxygen flow to the brain cells which helps you think more clearly and creatively. This also helps improve focus levels and concentration.
- Renews and increases energy levels – An Ayurveda head massage or Indian massage helps balance the energy chakras in the body. It focuses on rejuvenating the body’s energy and balancing them out.