What is a Swedish massage?
Swedish massage is one of the most popular types of oil massages offered across the globe. It helps in the relaxation of muscles and joints. It also helps to relax the mind and lowers stress levels. It is a full-body massage with the use of aromatic oils.
What does a Swedish full body massage include?
A Swedish full body massage includes the following steps:
- Stroking – The masseuse begins with stroking the body in an upward direction, leading towards the heart. She uses her palms to gently stroke the muscles. This is done with medium pressure. Stroking is the first step and is done as a muscle-warm up exercise. It also helps in relaxation and calming.
- Kneading – Kneading is the next step that includes the muscles just below the skin being squeezed and rolled with the palms. Primarily done to increase muscle relaxation, this process is also undertaken to improve the blood flow and to initiate lymphatic drainage.
- Gliding – Gliding is a technique that uses pressure and is used for deep-tissue massaging. The masseuse puts her body weight on her palms, fingertips, knuckles and the back of her arms. She then glides all across the client’s body. The pressure is gradually released and the gliding motion is restarted. This is a continuous process that helps in the relaxation and healing of the deep-tissues and muscles.
- Tapping – Tapping is done to relax the tiny muscles of the body, including those on the client’s face or along his spine. The masseuse gently taps on the muscles with her palms or thumbs to release the tension, improve the flow of blood and to relax the muscles.
- Rubbing – The masseuse rubs the muscles as well as the joints to remove any knots and to release tension. This is considered by many to be the most relaxing component of the massage.
- Pounding – The masseuse cups her palms together and pounds them with medium pressure on the body of the client. She then fists both hands and pounds the thighs, legs and buttock muscles in a rhythmic manner. This is the final and another highly relaxing component of a Swedish oil massage.
What is the difference between Swedish massage and deep tissue massage?
While a Swedish massage also offers deep tissue relaxation, it is gentler on the body. The Swedish massage techniques primarily involve working with the palms and the fingertips. Whereas in a traditional deep tissue massage, the masseuse also uses her forearms and elbows to massage the deepest tissues of the body.
What can I expect from a Swedish massage?
A Swedish body massage has numerous health benefits. It helps to improve the physical as well as the mental health of the person receiving it.
- It calms the nervous system
- It increases the strength of the muscles
- It tightens the loose muscles of the body
- It improves the flow of blood in the body
- It helps in joint and muscle pain management
- It helps to reduce the symptoms of various ailments including Asthma, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Arthritis
- It promotes muscle healing after injuries
- It helps combat mental conditions such as depression and anxiety
- It helps in proper sleeping
- Offers an improved overall wellness
Can you fall asleep during a massage?
A Swedish massage spa treatment is so relaxing that many people fall asleep while undergoing it. The masseuses and therapists at Tattva Spa are very well trained and you can completely trust them. Just relax and fall asleep if you so wish!
What should you not do before a massage?
To get the most out of the spa Swedish massage, try to avoid the following before you go for your appointment:
- Don’t have a heavy meal as the pressure on your back and stomach can make you nauseous.
- Don’t drink alcohol or caffeine as that prevents the muscles from relaxing.
- Stay out of the sun. Skin that is sunburned is usually bruised and sensitive. Going for a Swedish full body massage at such a time can be painful and cause irritation.
- Don’t apply any lotion or oil before the massage as it may interfere with the oils used at the Swedish massage spa.
- Don’t forget to empty your bladder, as more and more fluid will be pushed out of your body into your bladder during the massage.
Does a Swedish massage hurt?
When done properly by a trainer and certified masseuse, a Swedish massage never hurts. It includes the application of pressure, but the release of the muscle tension and the improvement of blood flow balances it out beautifully and you are left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.